Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Once more unto the breach...

A friend of mine just published an inspirational post on his blog. 

Your adventure ends here. I can only hope he intends to journal his experiences playing through the Jackson Livingston Choose your own adventures.

I loved them as a young man, and love them still 30 years later.

I have been quiet for far too long here, and intend to strive again for part of my original goal for this blog.

I realise that I have neither the time nor the fortitude to regularly post on the creation of a gaming world. I was far too ambitious and need to trim my expectations of motivation and inspiration.

I will continue to post about my RPG experiences, game and adventure design, and any other wisp of fickle fancy I manage to trap on this page.

I have not however been idle in the physical realm. Scribbling down jots and jits, of this and that, in doctors and dentists waiting rooms, parked in the car, or watching TV or you tube on my PC. I am an eternal tinkerer, dabbler, a gaming dilettante.

I fall in love with every system I read, yet have to pull them this way and that. Never quite finding my one true rule set.

My latest efforts have me torturing the Risus RPG  one of the most beer and pretzels rules sets out there. But like the game GO  its upfront simplicity hides a depth that I have yet to fathom. For me it is the system I keep coming back to. In Risus you really do get back what you put in.

It has been my endeavor to find a variation on the basic Risus rules to support a gritty, more life and death, yet operatic style of play. Sort of Tolkien crossed with R.E. Howard.  The biggest problem I have had thus far is conveying to any prospective players that this is possible. As well as gently letting them down when they discover that the freedom that Cliches as class and skills are quite challenging to mash together into a good 3 dimensional character.



In following posts I will lay out the results of my vivisection of the Risus cannon and set it to shambling before you like a grotesque chimera of all my evil GMing desires.

I am happy you see. Happy that I have [in my own humble opinion], finally achieved my aim of a home brew version of Risus. A brew I can adapt to a wide range of settings with little effort, and a great deal of fun.

Stay tuned for Rules, concise setting, and one night adventures that span all times and spaces!

Don.

No comments:

Post a Comment